Barclays Bank in the High Street is also a Grade II listed building.
In 1820 Sharples, Bassett & Co. opened a bank at 20 Bancroft, moving to 25 High Street in 1827. When Pierson’s Bank failed in 1841, their building at
5 – 6 High Street was bought by the (by now renamed) Sharples Exton & Lucas Bank, and new premises were built on the site. James Hack Tuke became a partner in 1852, and Frederic Seebohm in 1859. The bank joined with nineteen others in 1896 to form Barclays & Co. Ltd.
Back to the Blue Plaque list …