7. The Corn Exchange

31 Market Place, SG5 1DY

Hitchin Corn Exchange opened for trade in 1853, three years after the railway brought new prosperity to the town. There were 36 dealers’ stalls and a merchants’ office. The building was sometimes used for public entertainment including boxing, dancing and roller skating, as well as for public meetings. During World War II it became a low cost British Restaurant. The Corn Exchange closed in 1971 and, after a period as a craft market, became a Pitcher & Piano bistro/bar.

Back to the Blue Plaque list